Drives bus, motor coach, or paratransit vehicles, including regular route operations, paratransit, charters, and/or private carriage. Communicates with and assists passengers. May collect fares, tickets, or passes. In paratransit operation, may assist riders to and from the door of their origin/destination and may assist passengers with up to two packages weighing no more than 50 pounds.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
- Successfully performs scheduled manifest by picking up all clients and delivering to their destination safely and within a reasonable time frame
- Fills out appropriate paperwork recording passengers, miles, fuel used and other necessary operating data
- Disseminates and collects passenger surveys as needed.
- Ensures the safety of all passengers by use of appropriate on board restraints
- Communicates effectively with dispatch on central office personnel via two-way radio.
- Maintains a safe work area and focus of safety to reduce the opportunity for injury to self, other employees and passengers.
- Documents thoroughly the course of the day, including odometer readings, times, and passenger information.
- Operates communications equipment according to prescribed FCC rules and regulations.
- Collects passenger ridership and fare box revenue as prescribed by MAX procedures.
- Performs a pre-and post-vehicle inspection, and records any physical deficiencies on required form, making sure signature is included.
- Regular and Predictable Attendance
- Ability to handle stress.
- Ability to get along with others
- Ability to work independently
- The ability to stay awake.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Wears and maintains prescribed MAX uniforms, and maintains a clean, well groomed appearance at all times.
- Must be punctual, and report to duty in the prescribed manner.
- Records “IN” and “OUT” on Daily Trip report prior to or following completion of daily work assignments.
- Participates in training programs as directed and meets MAX standards and procedures.
- Reports all incidents and accidents and completes required forms for same following MAX procedures.
- Performs other bus driving duties as assigned by the Operations Manager, Assistant Operations Manager, or Supervisors..
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Response to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills – Keeps emotions under control.
Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment free environment; Treats people with respect.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures.
Professionalism – Ability to remain calm in emergency situations and ensure the safety of all passengers and employees. Follows through on commitments.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Strives to increase productivity.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Training to successfully test for a commercial drivers license with passenger and air brake endorsement.
- Previous professional driving experience preferred, but not required.
- Previous customer service experience, experience working with persons with disabilities and/or senior citizen groups preferred, but not required.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English clearly.
- Bi-lingual skills (English/Spanish) is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with passengers, passenger representatives, and systems staff.
- Ability to navigate the service area through the use of maps and/or onboard directional equipment
- Functional knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Knowledge of Windows-based computer operating systems.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Must possess a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class B with Air Brake endorsement.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Must have knowledge of traffic codes, rules, regulations and operate vehicles in a safe manner in full compliance with local and state traffic laws and ordinances.
- Must be responsible and capable of operating lift and/or ramp equipped vehicles.
- Safe driving record, with no more than two (2). Moving violations in the last three years; no more than one accident left parentheses at fault with ticket issued) in the last three years; no violations in the past seven years for: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs; driving while impaired; leaving the scene of an accident; or reckless driving.
- No violations or convictions for any of the following: negligent homicide; manslaughter; any felony; any rape or criminal sexual conduct offense; any child abuse or child molestation offense; fleeing an officer.
- Clean criminal history.
- Knowledge of the Max transit service area.
- Must be able to pass the Department of Transportation physical necessary to possess a CDL.
- Job requires the following physical activities: sitting, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, loading, unloading, driving.
Job requires planned restroom stops; drivers may not stop for rest breaks other than scheduled stops