Job Title: Information Specialist
This is a full time position; Hours are Monday – Friday; 9am-6pm (1-2 Saturdays per month required from 8am – 4pm)
Assists customers by phone with scheduling or canceling rides and providing information about transit services as the Primary Call Taker; Answers general questions from the public about the transit system; Assigns and tracks complaint determinations and reports findings to Complaint Coordinator; Serves as interpreter for Spanish-speaking customers; Assists customers by phone with trip planning; Other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Answers phone calls, collecting all necessary trip information for accurate scheduling of rides
- Assists customers by phone with trip planning
- Establishes, updates and maintains all necessary information in customer files in database
- Tracks complaint determinations through communications with appropriate managers
- Serves as translator for Spanish-speaking customers
- Assists with mailings as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others in the Customer Service group
Customer Service – Responds promptly to internal and external customer requests; Meets commitments; Ability to communicate clearly with customers is patient, professional, empathetic manner; ability to resolve conflicts or minor complaints in an amicable manner.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains a positive attitude with co-workers and customers; Maintains confidentiality; Listen’s to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources or asks for assistance when needed to meet deadlines and complete projects; Sets goals and objectives.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Stable work history with at least two years of customer service experience.
- Knowledge of MAX Transit service area.
- Ability to read, write, and understand basic directions.
- The ability to work independently
- Regular and Predictable attendance.
- Ability to stay awake.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English in both written and spoken form.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Experience with data entry.
- General knowledge of Windows-based computer operating systems.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Knowledge of RouteMatch software is preferred.
- Operation of phone system and features