Mystery riders are unpaid volunteers who ride the bus with the purpose of evaluating system performance and quality of services against established Authority standards and criteria. Mystery riders are given Evaluation Forms and may be asked to randomly ride the bus routes, or assigned to evaluate certain routes. Mystery Riders also may evaluate Reserve-A-MAX services. Mystery Riders will be given complimentary bus passes or fares to pay for their bus rides while evaluating service.
Mystery Riders must remain confidential and do not disclose to other passengers or the driver that they are completing an evaluation on behalf of the Authority for quality assurance purposes. Mystery Riders must carry their Volunteer ID card on them at all times, but their ID may not be worn or openly displayed during the evaluation. Having impartial evaluations of individual driver performance and MAX’s service helps the Authority identify opportunities for improvement. Evaluations are not intended to rate individual employee performance but to provide a system wide review of performance.
Mystery Riders are asked to complete at least 2 trips (either demand response or fixed bus route) monthly for a monthly average time commitment of 4-6 hours.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to travel to and from various locations in the service area
- Ability to read and write English without assistance
- Ability to observe and provide objective feedback on the Evaluation Form
- Ability to sit for up to one hour while riding the bus
- Physical and cognitive ability to use the fixed bus routes
- Ability to successfully pass a background check
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completing ride evaluations as instructed and assigned by Volunteer Coordinator and submitting within 2 business days of the evaluation date
- Documenting all volunteer time logged on a weekly basis
- Nondisclosure of purpose for riding to other passengers or staff
- Adhering to all Authority policies contained in the Employee Handbook.
- Adhering to all local, state and federal laws
- Other activities as needed or determined necessary.